Winter is the right time to post turnip recipes.
I was fascinated with this white and pink hued vegetable during my childhood and often wondered how it would taste. My family never ate it or it was not an easy available in restaurants. I got to taste it when I started to cook.
Turnips are popular in northern part of India but this vegetable is available in most Indian cities. I have posted this recipe specially for all of you who are staying in Europe.You might like this punjabi way of cooking turnips.
There are many ways to cook turnip in Indian way. Apart from stir-fry, you can pickle it, stuff it in parathas and make great tasting gravies. Sometime I love to cook turnips along with carrots and cauliflower using chef Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe- Gobhi gajar shalgam ka saag.
- 2-3 turnips/ shalgam (250 ml chopped when peeled and cubed)
- 100ml tightly packed frozen fenugreek leaves or 200 ml freshly chopped
- 100ml frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida pd (hing)
- 1 kashmiri red chilli- broken into 2 or 2 bohri whole round chillies (you can use slit green chilli)
- 1 tsp chopped garlic or 1/2 tsp paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 onions (about 200 ml when chopped)
- 1 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp /1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp chilli pd (optional)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree or 1 tomato chopped (50-75 ml when chopped) or 1/2 tsp dry mango pd (amchur)
- 0.5 tsp garam masala/ 1 tsp sunday masala (it's a garam masala used prepare mutton or chicken gravy, it contains red chilli pd too)
Heat oil and put in cumin seeds, asafoetida and when it pops add red chilli and stir for few secs.
See that the cumin or the chilli doesn't burn.
Immediately put in ginger and garlic. Stir for a min.
Add the onions and stir well.
When they turn translucent you can add all the vegetables (turnip, fenugreek and green peas)
It's better to add tomatoes/ dry mango pd after the green peas have cooked well.
Add salt and sugar. Cover and cook for 15 mins. Stir in between. Let the steam under the lid fall into the vegetables. This helps it cook well.
You can add either dry mango pd or tomatoes after the vegetables are cooked and turnips are still crunchy.
Tastes good with phulkas or any roti or leavened bread.
It's a dry vegetable dish, so it is convenient to roll them inside rotis and carry them in lunch boxes.
You can prepare dal makhani/ rajma,
missi roti/ makai roti,
raita along with this for a complete punjabi menu.
Skip the cumin, asafoetida tempering. Cook the onion along with oil in the rice cooker. Next add 3 veggies (you can use 2 tsp dried fenugreek or kasoori methi) and 1/2 tsp salt. Sprinkle Instant chickpea masala for stir-fry over this, do not stir. Cover and cook till done. Mix well.
Hope you found this recipe useful.
You can just give a simple click on Facebook/ Twitter/ Google+/email buttons below and share it with your friends today. Thank you !