I am back with another stir fry recipe for turnip (shalgam). It is wonderful to share a recipe for a seasonal vegetable as these vegetables suddenly appear in the market in tonnes and you want to cook them in more than 1 way. If not you will have to face your dear ones looking at you accusingly for repeating the same vegetable twice in a week.
Turnips have lot of health properties and moreover it is different in taste and smell than other common vegetable. I feel this recipe from Chef Sanjeev Kapoor does justice to this vegetable, in retaining its unique flavor. Turnips are cooked with carrots and grated cauliflower (all bounties of winter) with right amount of spices. The recipe is flexible so you can change the proportion of vegetables, spices and seasoning as you desire.
- Turnips- 2 medium , peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes or small
- Carrots- 2 medium sized red or orange, peeled and chopped into same sized cubes
- Cauliflower- 1 cup, grated (soak the florets in warm salted water for 20 mins, drain and grate)
- Clarified butter or ghee- 2 tbsp (you may use oil)
- Cumin- 1/2 tsp
- Onion- 1 medium, chopped (about 150-200ml when chopped)
- Ginger- 2" piece, grated or finely chopped
- Salt to taste (about 1.5 tsp)
- Turmeric pd- 1 tsp
- Green chillies, slit- 3-4
- Sugar- 1 tsp
- Dry mango pd (amchur pd)- 1 tsp (green chilli, sugar and mango pd are for hot, sweet and sourness, so adjust their quantity proportionally. If you are decreasing green chillies you should reduce sugar but retain same amount of mango pd or the stir fry will be too sweet.)
Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan.
Add cumin seeds and when they start popping or changes color you can add onions.
Saute' till onions are soft or appears translucent.
Add turnip and continue to saute' for 2 mins.
Next add carrots and stir to mix well.
Put in ginger, salt and turmeric pd and stir again.
Add 1/4 cup water, cover and cook on medium heat for 2 mins.
Open the lid and add grated cauliflower and green chillies. Mix and cover and cook till the veggies are almost done and it is dry.
Sprinkle sugar and mango pd and stir to mix everything.
Cover and cook for 10-15 mins on low heat till all the flavors blend well.
This tastes good with corn rotis (Makai roti) or phulkas.
Hope you found this recipe useful.
You can just give a simple click on Facebook/ Twitter/ Google+/email buttons below and share it with your friends today. Thank you !